About Water Service
New! Automatic Meter Reading (AMR)
Customers of Lakehaven Water and Sewer District should know that that Lakehaven will be implementing a new Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) program. The full program will involve the replacement of all manual-read meters (approximately 35,000) with AMR meters.
What is AMR?
AMR is the remote collection of consumption data from customers’ water meters through the use of radio frequency technology. Lakehaven will be moving away from the traditional method of meter reading, where meter readers stop at each meter to manually read and record the consumption data, to a method where the data is transmitted to an electronic device as it is driven by the meter.
Key Benefits of AMR
- Safety: The safety of Lakehaven personnel is a high priority. AMR technology will reduce employee exposure to hazardous conditions associated with traditional meter reading.
- Efficiency: Using traditional meter reading methods, one employee can read 500-800 meters per day. With the implementation of AMR, the electronic device is anticipated to read 5,000-6,000 meters per day. Not only does this save on labor hours, it reduces associated vehicle-run-time and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Error Reduction: Human error will be reduced by minimizing manual entry of meter readings.
- Customer Service: AMR meters have the ability to record and store water usage information on a daily basis that can be used to help customers identify leaks and prevent high water bills.
- Decrease Maintenance: Lakehaven will be replacing all water meters older than five years. This will reduce maintenance issues associated with the meters in the system for the next 10-20 years.
Impact on Customers’ Bills
Investing in an AMR system is expected to reduce long-term costs associated with meter reading and help keep future rate increases associated with the cost of reading meters to a minimum.
On February 22, 2018, the Lakehaven Board of Commissioners approved the contract to purchase an AMR system. We have begun implementation and, as of summer 2020, Lakehaven crews have installed approximately 2,000 AMR meters. Lakehaven expects to complete the installation of all AMR meters in 2024. During the implementation process, Lakehaven staff will be visiting every water meter in the system to install the components required for the AMR system. Please note that water service may be interrupted as the new meters are installed. Home/Business owners will be notified prior to their water being shut off. Most installations will take approximately 20 minutes. If you have any questions please contact Phillip Hite, the project manager, at 253-945-1585.
Public Water System vs. Private Plumbing
Lakehaven Water and Sewer District owns and operates water mains in the public right of way, everything up to and including the water meter. We are not responsible for private plumbing systems or the service line between the water meter and your home.